Publications




                                             Updated version for the 40th Anniversary, March 2022


Behind the door lurks a Monster: Punk, politics and the President; a life growing up in the Falkland Islands
Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1514764695

Link to 'Home' - video diary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIcW8hKstQ&t=112s


'I waited an hour or so in the departure lounge for the aircraft to land. Punta Arenas reminded me of home, with its coloured houses and steep hills and the streets full of Japanese four by four vehicles. Then the plane landed and the lounge filled up with people. I'd sat with my back to everyone. That’s when I knew I was going home. I waited until everyone was on board, before I stood up and went to the gate.  
      My two oldest sisters were at the airport to meet me. I had a lot to thank them for; it could not have been easy but they were adamant I was coming home and if anyone had a problem with that then they'd have them to contend with, too. There was the usual reaction with my going, on social media. There would have been some perhaps wanting to say something personally, given the chance - but why give anyone that? 
   The next day we went fishing. As a family we always liked doing such things, grabbing drinks and food and clothing to keep warm and dry and driving off across the camp*. That’s what life was about: doing what you wanted to do and keeping it simple.
    There was also so much I could have thought about while there yet for some reason the thoughts never came. Only I did film, as I told the boys I would: my sister and I dancing together on the slope above where we had fished, the evening sun behind and a motorcycle going past, as well as other things before the week was over and back to the airport I went, with several people calling before I left saying it was nice to see me back.
     Making the short film - which I'd finished at Michael’s with the boys in the last shot in Buenos Aires, was like putting my home in a box. Jacques would have said that for it to be art you had to take yourself out of it. He was right. I had just made something about going home. Sometimes art gets in the way.'


Hampshire, England, July 2015

         The unedited manuscript was bought by Planeta, in Buenos Aires, and translated into Spanish as 'Malvinas: Una Guerra Privada.'  


Prose. Published 2016.




Buenos Aires, 2012
Emece (Planeta).

Popular Posts